I’ve just had a Steam Corrupt Disk error when downloading/updating games. This happens for me every time I try to update or download a game. I have a second hard drive in my computer, so everything is on that hard drive. It’s not a big issue, I can just download the game again. I’m just curious if anyone has experienced anything like this. If you have, please tell me what you did to fix it.
When you’re downloading or updating a game on Steam, you may run into an error message that says “corrupt disk”, errors while trying to log in to your account, or other problems. Depending on the message, it may be a problem with your hard drive rather than your Steam account.
Recently, I had a problem with my Steam games downloading. The error said that it was “Corrupt Disk”, and that it couldn’t be fixed. I’ve done some research, and there are a couple of solutions, but I don’t want any problems with my Steam account, so I figured I would document my problem and solution here for anyone else who had the same issue, and maybe could try it for themselves.
Tashrif Sharif Windows and software expert Tashrif Sharif is a software developer turned technical writer. He discovered his interest in technology when he happened to read a technology magazine. These days, he writes about everything tech, from Windows to iOS to streaming services….. Read more Updated: 9. June 2021. Published: May 2019
- You may get an error message about a corrupted Steam disk when downloading or updating a game.
- You can solve this problem quickly by deleting the active download folder.
- Reinstalling the Steam client can also solve this problem quickly, so don’t hesitate to try it.
- Check the integrity of the game files, this can fix anything.
We recommend Restoro PC Repair Tool to solve various PC problems: This program fixes common computer errors, protects you from file loss, malware and hardware malfunctions, and optimizes your PC for maximum performance. Fix PC problems and remove viruses in 3 easy steps:
- Download the Restoro PC repair tool, which contains a patented technology (patent available here).
- Click on the Start Scan button to scan for Windows issues that may be causing the PC problems.
- To fix problems that affect the security and performance of your computer, click Repair All.
- Restoro was downloaded by 0 readers this month.
When trying to download a game or update an old game, you may encounter a corrupt disk error in the Steam client. This is a common error that can occur for several reasons. The full version of the error message reads An error occurred while updating [your game] (disk read error) (disk corruption error), see the Steam support page for more information. For those affected by this error, here’s how to fix a corrupted Steam disk error on a Windows machine.
How to repair Steam corrupt disk
- Delete the active download folder
- Reinstall the Steam client
- Check the integrity of the game files
- Restore the Steam library folder
- Change the download folder / Steam library folder
1. Delete or rename the current download folder
1.1 Deleting a file
- Open File Explorer and navigate to the following location: C:Program FilesSteamSappsLoad
- On Steam, each game is stored under a unique number. Open the first folder you see in the download folder with the number. See if it’s part of the problem gambling.
- Delete the problematic folder.
- Close Steam if it is still running. Reboot Steam and try to reinstall the game.
Before performing advanced troubleshooting, temporarily disable your firewall and virus protection. Try again, and if that doesn’t help, move on to other steps to solve the problem. Another reason for the corrupt disk error can be corrupted game files. You can try deleting the downloaded game files, and then restarting the download from the Steam client. 1.2 Renaming folders
- Find the Downloads folder in Steamapps by going to the following path: C:Program Files (x86)SteamSteamapps
- Right click on the download folder and select Rename. Rename the folder to Downloading12.
- Then create a new folder in the Steamapps folder and name it Downloading.
- Start Steam and try to install the game you’re having trouble with. You should now be able to download and install the game.
Rename the download folder to another name and create a new folder with the name download as described in the steps above.
2. Reinstalling the Steam client
- Search for Windows Control Panel and click Control Panel in the search results.
- Now select Programs and Functions.
- Find Steam in the program list, click on it and select Uninstall.
- Reboot your system and reinstall Steam from the official website.
- Launch Steam and all game data should remain intact.
- Otherwise, move the Steamapps folder from the backup drive to the following path: C:Program Files (x86)Steam folder
As a last resort, you can try reinstalling the Steam client. Uninstalling the Steam client does not remove the game data and installed games, only the client.
Run a system check for errors
Press Start Scan to check for Windows problems. Press Repair Everything to troubleshoot proprietary technology. Run a PC scan with Restoro Repair Tool to find errors that cause security problems and slowdowns. Once the scan is complete, the recovery process replaces the damaged files with new Windows files and components. When you reinstall the Steam client, the game data and files will be removed from this folder. But to be sure, save your Steamapps folder by going to the next folder: C:Program Files (x86)Steam Once you have saved the Steamapps folder, proceed to remove the Steam client.
3. Check integrity of set up files
- The steam that flows.
- Click on Library and select Games.
- Right-click on the problem game and select Properties.
- Under Properties, click the Local Files tab.
- Click the Check game file integrity button.
- Steam checks that the game file is not damaged. If the test is successful, proceed to the next step.
A corrupted disk error can also occur if the game files are damaged or missing. Steam has a built-in tool that checks and validates the integrity of game files in the client.
4. Restore Steam library folder
- Steam start.
- Click on Steam and select Settings.
- Under Settings, click the Downloads tab.
- Under Content Libraries, click on Steam Library Folders.
- Right-click on the Steam library folder (or a custom library folder) and select Restore library folder.
- Steam analyzes the file and tries to fix it if there is a problem.
- Try downloading the games and see if the error is fixed.
If the problem is with the default Steam library folder, try fixing it with the Repair Steam library folder option. Here’s how.
5. Change download folder / Steam library folder
- Start Steam, click on Steam, and select Settings.
- Click on the Downloads tab.
- Click on the Steam library folder.
- Then click Add Library Folder in the pop-up dialog box.
- Select another drive in the system and press Select.
- Close the installation window and try to download and install the game with the Disk Corruption error.
The Steam client lets you edit your Steam library and set a custom location for downloading and installing games. If Steam’s default library or hard drive partition is corrupted, you can replace the drive to fix the error. We hope our solutions helped you solve the Steam corrupt disk during download and you can play now. Also read our expert article on how to fix an error that occurs when updating your game in Steam. These solutions can also help you solve the problem. If you know of any other possible solutions or tips, feel free to leave them in the comments below for your colleagues. Still having problems? Repair them with this tool:
- Download this PC recovery tool with excellent reviews on TrustPilot.com (download starts on this page).
- Click on the Start Scan button to scan for Windows issues that may be causing the PC problems.
- Click Repair All to fix problems with patented technology (exclusive discount for our readers).
Restoro was downloaded by 0 readers this month. Not enough details. It’s hard to understand Other Contact an expert Take part in the discussionI have a Windows machine and I got the dreaded ‘Steam Corrupt Disk error’ when downloading or updating any games. I have tried re-installing the game a couple of times and it still happens. I have also tried re-installing Steam from within the Steam client, but it still happens. Now I am not educated enough to tell you if this will happen on any other OS (I am guessing yes).. Read more about steam corrupt disk reddit and let us know what you think.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I fix a corrupt disk error on steam?
This post is to help you figure out how to fix a corrupt disk error on Steam that happens when downloading games or trying to update. If you get a “Corrupt Disk” on Steam and need to know how to fix it, there is help available on this page. Hey. I’m Josh. I’ve been around for a while, but I’m starting to think that I may be a ‘one of those’ guys. I’ve been hearing that Steam is having a lot of problems lately. It sounds like the service as a whole is starting to suffer. So, I thought I’d give you a heads up about what to do if you experience it yourself.
How do I fix a corrupt Steam download?
So you installed Steam and it’s working great. Then, one day you start Steam, click on the ‘Library’ icon and click through the pages of updates, as you do every time. Then, you click on ‘download’ and it downloads the updates. Then, it starts to download the game. But, there is something wrong. The download speeds are insanely slow. It takes weeks to download a game. You have no idea what is going on. If you are encountering the Steam Corrupt Disk error when downloading or updating games, try one of these troubleshooting solutions. Solution 1: Try updating your PC to the latest Windows 10. Solution 2: Try downloading the game again.
Why is steam corrupted?
Every once in a while, something that you thought was working fine suddenly starts acting up. Maybe the file you’re trying to download just suddenly stops, or the game you were playing just got stuck. These unexpected errors can be incredibly frustrating, especially if you’re trying to figure out why they’re occurring. Steam is an online game distribution platform developed by Valve Corporation, and it is one of the most popular platforms for playing games on Windows. It has over 45 million users worldwide. It is currently the most used platform for installing games.
Feedback,steam corrupt disk download errorsteam corrupt update filessteam corrupt filessteam corrupt disk redditsteam corrupt downloadcsgo corrupt disk,People also search for,Privacy settings,How Search works,steam corrupt disk download error,steam corrupt update files,steam corrupt files,steam corrupt disk reddit,steam corrupt download,csgo corrupt disk,how to fix a corrupt disk,steam folder corrupted