If you’re running Windows 10 but still using the Windows 8 or Windows 7 File Explorer ribbon interface, you’ll be happy to hear that Microsoft has released a new file explorer that looks and acts exactly like the Windows 10 version.
Windows 10’s File Explorer ribbon is no longer available in Windows 11, and those who love it are left wondering if they can bring it back. We may not be able to get the ribbon back, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a better alternative.
to Alexander Polobok.
Editor of the message
With an overwhelming desire to get to the bottom of things and get to the truth, Alex has spent much of his time as a reporter, presenter, on television and radio….. Read more
- As good as some of the changes to the Windows 11 user interface are, some people just can’t get used to them.
- For many users, the design style of many elements of the Windows 10 user interface is still the best, and worth reconsidering.
- If you don’t like the Explorer ribbon in Windows 11, you can revert to how it looked in the previous operating system.
- In this article, you will find the exact steps you need to take to make the change yourself.
Now it seems that every new UI design detail Microsoft comes up with for Windows 11 is immediately rejected by the user community, arguing that they would rather have everything in Windows 10.
Fortunately, there are still a few tricks that even the most advanced users know how to use to return certain elements of the user interface to the state they were in the previous operating system.
You can achieve anything if you know where to look and what to optimize.
How do I get the old File Manager ribbon in Windows 11?
This process is not as complicated as you might think. This only takes a few minutes of your time and is very doable, even without extensive knowledge of how computers work.
If you are one of those users who likes both the old operating style and the old system layout, you can revert to the old File Explorer ribbon as follows.
- Open the Control Panel application on your Windows 11 device.
2. Choose the appearance and customization.
3. Click on File Management Preferences.
4. Check the small box next to the Run folder window in a separate process option on the View tab. Then click Apply and you’re done.
If you followed these steps correctly, the end result should look like this:
Pretty cool, huh?
However, if you get tired of this view and want to switch to Windows 11, just follow the same steps and uncheck the box provided.
Which ribbon do you prefer for your file explorer? An older version of Windows 10 or a newer, improved version of Windows 11? Let us know your comments in the section below.
Was this page helpful?
Not enough details.
It’s hard to understand
Contact an expert
Start the conversation
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the ribbon in File Explorer?
The ribbon is on the top of the File Explorer window.
How do I show the Ribbon in Windows 10?
To show the Ribbon in Windows 10, click the “View” button at the top-left corner of the screen. Click “More” and then “Show the Ribbon.”
Does file explorer have a ribbon interface?
No, file explorer does not have a ribbon interface.